Saturday, October 4, 2014

Red Cross Book Fair: Day 2

Image Credit

Or the Red Cross Book Fair.... Yes, dear readers, I went back. And got more. Just how many more total is still in question--because, you never know, I might go back again tomorrow. Let's just say that Heather and Kristal no longer are the closest....

But you know what? Today's visit to the Book Fair is not my fault. No, really! It's not. It's my husband's fault. He wanted to take his 1966 Corvair for a spin. And the fairgrounds were handy....and he wanted to see if they had any business books or comic books that he just had to have (they did--twelve comic books!). I had to go and keep him company.  

Oh...and while I was there...well...it didn't hurt to have another look through the tables just in case I missed a treasure or two. Right?  Okay...I missed twelve treasures. Here they are:

Mysteries
Lament for a Lady Laird by Margot Arnold (paperback)
Crime for Christmas by Richard Dalby, ed (hardback)
The Killing of Katie Steelstock by Michael Gilbert (paperback)
The Riddle of the Traveling Skull by Harry Stephen Keeler (reprint hardback)
Murder at Teatime by Stefanie Matteson (paperback)
A Tasty Way to Die by Janet Laurence (1st edition, hardback; but ex-library)
The Bachelors of Broken Hill by Arthur W. Upfield (paperback)
Death of a Swagman by Arthur W. Upfield (paperback)
Man of Two Tribes by Arthur W. Upfield (paperback)
Black Alibi by Cornell Woolrich (paperback)
 

Non-Mysteries
Rupert of Hentzau by Anthony Hope (paperback)
World's Best Science Fiction: 1966 by Donald A Wollheim & Terry Carr, eds (Ace Pocket-Size Edition)
 

3 comments:

Jacquie said...

Bev, I live in Chicago, where there was a similar annual weeklong Brandeis Book Sale. I went back again and again because they'd open up more boxes as books were sold. Sure miss it. Nothing like finding a treasure for a pittance. Speaking of treasures, I've come to look forward to your amusing and insightful blogs in my email, so last night I began reading them from the very beginning in 2010. You amaze me. Our tastes are similar but I read very slowly in comparison. In a recent book purging, I gave up quite a few old mysteries that I figured I'd never get around to reading, like Harry Stephen Keeler, though I hung onto Thieves' Nights for some reason. Now you make me wonder if I made a mistake. :) Kept all my Cornell Woolrich and Margot Arnold titles though. Thanks for a delightful blog!

Bev Hankins said...

Jacqueline: thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad that you've enjoyed the blog posts.

I'm really curious about Harry Stephen Keeler...from what I've seen about him, it sounds like he was the "best" of the really bad mystery authors. Maybe meaning so bad he's good? I'll be putting him on my list for next year's reads.

Jacquie said...

Yes, I recall reading that his plots were wild and fairly convoluted but that the various elements come together in the end like a crazy web. I pulled out Thieves' Nights and I probably kept it because it's set in Chicago. However I haven't read it and now I may have to.