Sunday, August 18, 2013

Random Number Survey

random2_zps2ee43b09



The Random # Survey is created by Melissa @ Harley Bear Book Blog.


Here’s how it works, straight from Melissa.


How to participate:
1. Pick a number.
Keep in mind how many books you have.  If you have one bookshelf like me you may want to keep it between 1-10.  If you're like Book BFF Angela and have a bunch of bookshelves you may want to pick between a higher range like 1-50. 
I used Random.org and got the # 8!


2. Go to your bookshelf and count that many books until you reach your number. Answer the question with that book.
(I counted 8 books in and got Delirium).  So I used Delirium to answer question 1. 


3. Count the same number of books from where you left off and answer the next question.
Then I counted 8 more books after Delirium and got The Evolution of Mara Dyer and used that book to answer question 2.  You get the idea...

So I went visiting Candace at Candace's Book Blog and she has tagged everyone who stops by and reads her post. I have about as much resistance to book lists and surveys as I do to challenges....so, of course, I'm going to participate.

Like Candace, I have a LOT of books (over 2,000!), but I'm going to do this quickly and from mostly books I have already read.  So, before I go looking at my shelves, I'm going to arbitrarily pick the number 7.  Here we go....


1. What do you think of the cover?

 Very Blake-ian.  Of course, I believe it is from Blake's work.  I tend to like this sort of thing.


2. Write a review in 140 characters or less.

I always enjoy collections from the Victorian/Edwardian eras that have a large number of stories that I've not read before. This collection does the trick.



3. How or where did you get this book?

Bought it from a local used book store--which is, unfortunately, now closed.




4. Who’s your favorite character in this book and why?

Kate Theobald--she's a strong female detective character.




5. Recommend this book to a fellow blogger you think would like it.


Ryan from Wordsmithonia, he likes those vintage mysteries too! And I don't think he's read this one.


6. How long ago did you read this book?

A little over a year ago (May 14, 2012)




7. Name a favorite scene from this book (NO SPOILERS).

Pick a scene, any scene. I love reading about Spade fast-talking his way around suspicious cops, wily criminals, and gorgeous dames in order get out of this one with his skin whole.




8. Open to page 87 and pick a random quote to share (NO SPOILERS)



"By the way," he said, when he had finished, "last night you intimated that certain things happened in San Francisco--things that made your father cautious. What--if you don't mind telling me?"


9.  How did you hear about or discover this book?

I know the poet personally.




10.  If you could redesign the cover what would you do?

I would have a picture involving the Chinese statue that was used as a weapon.




11.  Name your least favorite character in this book and why?
Arthur Wien--the victim.  It seems at first that he was such a likeable guy...but we find out how despicable he is.


12. Fill in the blank.  If you like Roger Zelazny or Robert Silverberg then you should try... [insert Your book]






  Harlan Ellison's Slippage (or any by Ellison)

 

 13.  Name one cool thing about this book (under the dust jacket, map, font, photograph, ect.)

Um....That it's a non-Oz book by L. Frank Baum?  There's not really anything all that out of the ordinary about this one....


14. Where is it set and would you ever want to visit that world/place.
The Wimsey books/stories are set in 1920s/30s Britain--and, yes, I'd love to visit--especially if Lord Peter Wimsey were there to take me for a ride in Mrs. Merdle or offer me a little something from his cellar or to allow me to browse his marvelous bookshelves.


15. Who is it dedicated to?


"To J. A. F." 
I've no idea who that might be....

Now, I'm supposed to tag some people, but, like Candace, I know that it's hard to find time to do lists and "tag, you're it" kind of things, so if you've read this far--you're tagged.  And if you have a chance to do it let me know and I'll come visit to see what kind of books are hanging out on your shelves. :-)

7 comments:

Candace said...

YAY! I'm so glad you joined in! I just love seeing what people have on their shelves. You have loads I'm not familiar with, or that I haven't seen in YEARS.

Jean said...

I'll do it, looks fun. But in order to avoid an avalanche of memes, I'll have to wait until I'm done with the current one. Will let you know. :-)

Bev Hankins said...

thanks, Jean! I'll look forward to it.

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Love this survey! I have it and a few others in my drafts to finish up when I have a chance.

Ryan said...

So now I have to read that book. I own it, a friend sent it to me last year, but I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jean said...

OK, I finally got to it...http://howlingfrog.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-random-number-survey.html

Bev Hankins said...

Yes, you do, Ryan!