Sunday, October 14, 2012

Route 66 Book Bonaza Part II

Back in June, Brad and I got our kicks on Route 66...traveling for about a week and making stops at all the used bookstores we found along the way.  This weekend was Fall break here at IU, so we took a long weekend and returned to Route 66 in Illinois.  We stopped at one of the best used bookstores ever, Books on the Square in Virden, IL:


(at right side of photo; image source)

Where I armed myself with even more of my beloved pocket-size editions.

Here's my haul:

And So to Murder by Carter Dickson (Very good 1st edition Dell map back)
N or M? by Agatha Christie (good 1st edition Dell map back)
Holiday Homicide by Rufus King (good 1st edition Dell map back)
The Frighted Wife by Mary Roberts Rinehart (1st New Dell Edition)
Haunted Lady by Mary Roberts Rinehart (Very good 1st edition Dell map back)
Call for Michael Shayne by Brett Halliday (fine 1st edition Dell map back)
The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece by Erle Stanley Gardner (fine 1st Pocket Book WWII edition)
Death in the Doll's House by Hannah Lees & Lawrence Bachman (Good 1st edition Dell map back)
Murder at Cambridge (aka Murder at the 'Varsity) by Q. Patrick (Very good 1st edition Popular Library)
Puzzle for Puppets by Patrick Quenten (Near fine Pocket WWII edition--2nd printing)
Cue for Murder by Helen McCloy (Very good 1st edition Dell map back)
Death on the Aisle by Frances & Richard Lockridge (good WWII Special Armed Forces Edition)
Made Up to Kill (aka Made Up for Murder) by Kelley Roos (Very good 1st edition Dell map back)
Bad for Business by Rex Stout (Good 1st edition Dell map back)

Plus one Hard Back:
Death Knocks Three Times by Anthony Gilbert (Fine 1st edition with dust jacket)


We also visited the famous Cozy Drive In, home of the Cozy Dog--the first hot dog on a stick (corn dogs).  They're just as good as advertised too.





6 comments:

TracyK said...

Those all sound great! I am so envious. I have a couple of these map backs, but I never found one in a book store. Had to search the internet.

Bev Hankins said...

Finding them lurking on the shelves of a used bookstore is the best!

Peggy Ann said...

What a wonderful weekend! I am do envious:)

J F Norris said...

Wow! A Mapback bonanza. And the Armed Forces Edition is quite a coup, too. I rarely see those in bookstores these days. If I do they are priced a bit too high even if in only passable reading condition. Once, in North Carolina antique mall, we found a small pile of those AFE (one was the coveted AFE of Dracula) and they were all placed in a locked glass cabinet as if they were crown jewels! I had to ask the owner for special perfmiison to lok at them and shocked her when I said I would take nearly every single one. I left one in really bad condition behind because the price was just wrong for something as ugly and messy as it was.

Bev Hankins said...

John: I had a wonderful time. I pounced (literally) on the AFE Lockridge book. I have one other: Busman's Honeymoon by Sayers. I got the Sayers at our Friends of the Library Bookstore ($1...how about that?!) and the Lockridge came home with me for $3. I'm feeling pretty smug.

neer said...

Do read Death Knocks Three Times quickly. I read it pretty recently and found it to be wonderful.