Wednesday, August 3, 2011

WWW: Wednesdays

WWW: Wednesdays is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. This is a weekly meme that I have been participating in for over a year now.

To play along just answer the following three questions....

*What are you currently reading?
*What did you just recently finish reading?
*What do you think you'll read next?

Current:
Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen: Originally published in 1934, Seven Gothic Tales, the first book by "one of the finest and most singular artists of our time" (The Atlantic), is a modern classic. Here are seven exquisite tales combining the keen psychological insight characteristic of the modern short story with the haunting mystery of the nineteenth-century Gothic tale, in the tradition of writers such as Goethe, Hoffmann, and Poe.

The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks by James Anderson: The third in a series of country house mystery send-ups. Real Golden Age mystery fare with a humorous twist. Lord Burford has misgivings about his wife's planned house party. That's perfectly understandable. After all, during the last two country house gatherings there had been "unfortunate incidents"--that is to say, murders. This time things begin to go wrong when one of the guests claims she has knowledge that would ruin the others' reputations. Then, surprise, she's found murdered....


Read Since the Last WWW: Wednesday (click titles for reviews):
Tom Fleck: A Novel of Cleveland & Flodden by Harry Nicholson
Evvie by Vera Caspary
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Holmes by Loren D Estleman

Up Next:
Shatterday by Harlan Ellison
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The High Crusade by Poul Anderson

6 comments:

CMash said...

Someday when I get caught up I have to read one of "your" mysteries. Just to see what I am missing. I am in awe that you so enjoy mysteries of long ago.

Bev Hankins said...

Cheryl, I'm just an old-fashioned girl. I've always said I was born out of my time. By rights, I ought to love 80s music (ick) and be all pop-culture-y. For music--I like 70s on back. Give me an old black & white movie any day (Hepburn, Gable, Bogart, Grant, Stewart...). And give me the classics...classic literature or classic mysteries!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Seven Gothic Tales has been on my TBR shelf for over 10 years, I am ashamed to say. You make me want to read it ASAP.

Gwenyth Love said...

Enjoy The Book Thief. Both my son and I enjoyed it tremendously!

Here is my WWW for this week.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed Seven Gothic tales, it's pretty good :)

Here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/08/www-wednesdays.html

Sherrie said...

Hi Bev,
Haven't read any of your books, except one. The Book Thief, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books