Sunday, May 8, 2011

New Meme: One Book, Two Book, Three Book, Four.... and Five

Found this one over at An Adventure in Reading who directed me to Stuck in a Book where it all began. It's pretty easy--just five categories of books to list each week.

1. The Book I am currently reading:
Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner: An engrossing murder mystery and an unflinching portrait of racial injustice: it is the story of Lucas Beauchamp, a black man wrongly arrested for the murder of Vinson Gowrie, a white man. Confronted by the threat of lynching, Lucas sets out to prove his innocence, aided by a white lawyer, Gavin Stevens, and his young nephew Chick Mallison.

2.
The Book I finished last:
The Giant Rat of Sumatra by Richard L. Boyer [Click title for review.]

3.
The Next Book I want to read:
Queen of the Flowers by Kerry Greenwood: Crime strikes close to home in this latest installment of Greenwood's charming series (
The Castlemaine Murders, etc.) featuring 1920s Aussie amateur sleuth, Phryne Fisher. While the town of St. Kilda prepares for the 1928 Flower Parade, Phryne's adopted daughter, Ruth, disappears after learning her father's identity from her birthmother, Anna Ross. Phryne adds Ruth to her caseload, which coincidentally includes the search for another missing young woman, Rose Weston.

4.
The Last Book(s) I bought:The Yellow Dog by Georges Simenon
Angel with Two Faces by Nicola Upson
[I list two because I got them both at the Library Bookstore at the same time.]

5.
The last book I was given:
The Man on the Balcony by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo (given by one of the lovely professors in the English Department where I work as a get well present): In one of the peaceful parks of Stockholm, a killer is stalking young girls and disposing of their bodies. The city is on edge, and an undercurrent of fear has gripped its residents. Martin Beck, now a superintendent, has two possible witnesses: a silent-stone-cold mugger and a mute three-year-old boy. The police force works night and day, but their efforts have offered little insight into the whereabouts of the killer. Then a distant memory resurfaces in Beck's mind, and he finally may have the break he needs.

3 comments:

StuckInABook said...

Wow, I have heard of none of these, but thanks for joining in!

Red said...

Intruder in the Dust looks interesting! Off to check out your review (still catching up on the google reader)

raidergirl3 said...

I read The Man on the Balcony recently, and plan to go back and read the whole series. Great mystery!
I am much closer to the beginning in the Phryne Fisher series - I love the flapper/Melbourne setting. I think the fourth one is waiting for me at the library.