Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Teaser Tuesday


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

*Grab your current read.
*Open to a random page.
*Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.
*Be careful not to include spoilers! (Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others.)
*Share the title and author, too, so other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!

I'm going to cheat a little bit and do two. I just finished Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers and I just have to share something from this book. One of my all-time favorite reads! Here we go from page 75:

It was natural that the conversation should turn to the subject of murder. Nothing goes so well with a hot fire and buttered crumpets as a wet day without and a good dose of comfortable horrors within. The heavier the lashing of the rain and the ghastlier the details, the better the flavour seems to be.

And from the book I'm just starting, The Divine Comedy II: Purgatory by Dante Aligheiri (trans by Dorothy L Sayers) page 75 of the edition, which includes a hefty introduction (actually page 3 of the work itself):

I've shown him Hell with all its guilty herd,
And mean to show him next the souls who dwell
Making purgation here beneath thy ward.

How I have brought him through, 'twere long to tell;
Power from on high helps me to guide his feet
To thee, to see and hear and mark thee well.


14 comments:

Kristin said...

I haven't heard of either of these books - the quote from Strong Poison definitely intrigues me, though.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

Jennifer said...

I do so like Dante's works. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/09/teaser-tuesdays-your-presence-is-requested-at-suvanto.html

Golden Eagle said...

Crumpets and murder. I love the sound of the combination! The second teaser is interesting in its form, too. Nice choices!

My two sentences are from Morpheus Road: The Light by D.J. MacHale.

Deepali said...

Oh how serious!
I do love Sayers, and that is such a great quote! My teaser is at
e-Volving Books

justpeachy36 said...

Strong Poison sounds really good and I loved the second teaser as well. Anything lyrical floats my boat LOL...

Great teasers!

Heather said...

Love the quote from Sayers. I've only recently been introduced to her writing and so far enjoying it. Thanks for visiting!

Anne said...

Great teasers! I have to add these 2 books in my TBR list. =)

Tasha said...

Fab teasers. I've got two as well this week, you can find them here

Zia said...

Great teasers! Happy reading.

jlshall said...

Those are wonderful teasers! Glad you like Strong Poison - it's one of my favorites, too. One of these days I really want to read the few Lord Peter Wimsey books I haven't read yet.

Karen and Gerard said...

Thanks for stopping by, came over to see your teasers. We haven't read anything by either of these authors.

Shelley Munro said...

I love the quote from Sayers as well. It's murder-talking weather down here in NZ at present.

Thanks for visiting me. :)

Bev Hankins said...

@Shelley: sounds like you need to cuddle up with a murder mystery and enjoy the weather!

shaunesay said...

I have not read any Sayers yet, but that is a good teaser. As for Dante, I can tell I'll definitely have to be well rested before giving it a try! lol!

Thanks for visiting my Teaser!